[ A > A ]
“Front and Center...Fall-In July!” WOW! Sorry that I had a flashback
to some terminology from those military days of the past! How did
June treat you? I hope all is well with you and yours. We have had a
variety of events coming and going during June, in Las Vegas.
• A longtime friend of Peggy and mine died this month after fighting
cancer for some time. He will be truly missed.
• Stevie [our daughter] sounds like she will be moving back to the
desert, southwest, probably AZ - in 2016. GREAT!
• Mike and the Graham Clan back in VA have a busy summer going on. The
older grand kids have Travel Plans, Sporting Events, Boy Scouts, and
Day School for young Gavin. Mike and Catherine are working on a Cruise
Vacation; any time they can squeeze it in, prior to school starting
up. I get tired just thinking of their schedule!
• The weather here [in Las Vegas] has been in full 100 degree plus
mode for about three weeks in a row. High so far – 112! Pool time.
• Charlene (Wiper) Swenson and Alan will be coming to Las Vegas for a
visit at the Bob & Peggy Bed and Breakfast in July. Bruce and Judy (Fondren)
Ahlvin have confirmed reservations for early October. Mints are on
the pillows, but melting fast! Also, still working on Bonita.
• Just went to a wedding for one of my high school student/athletes.
It was like a high school reunion! Lots of young adults that we both
knew from the old high school teaching and coaching time period were
there. Lots of fun, some more weddings in September and October and
we’re looking forward to them.
• Jake and Honor, [our Dobermans], are just fine, but it is a little
too HOT for them; it knocks down their time running for the ball -
which doesn’t make them real happy. But, their POOL time gets
extended! Woof Woof!
• Plans are in action for Homecoming Week/Game in Montana during
September. That is always fun with Classmates, Teammates, and large
exaggerations about what really happened decades ago!
Well, that is about it from LV and the latest update from the Graham
Gang for the month of June. Time for another month to move “Front and
Center... Fall-in July!”
Any of you have a "Bucket List?" If yes, would you like to share some
of your items with your Classmates? If so, send them to me in
time for the next Newsletter. Thank You and have a great July!
Hooah, Hugs, and “FRONT & CENTER...FALL-IN JULY!”
“Extraordinary Photos #1”
Contributed by Bruce Ahlvin & Peggy
“Success Is When You Look Back at Your Life
and The Memories Make You Smile”
Contributed by Stevie Graham
[Success and today…]
Today, I interviewed my grandmother for part of a research paper I'm
working on for my Psychology class. When I asked her to define
success in her own words, she said, "Success is when you look back at
your life and the memories make you smile."
2. Today, I asked my mentor - a very successful business man in his
70s- what his top 3 tips are for success. He smiled and said, "Read
something no one else is reading, think something no one else is
thinking, and do something no one else is doing."
3. Today, after a 72 hour shift at the fire station, a woman ran up to
me at the grocery store and gave me a hug. When I tensed up, she
realized I didn't recognize her. She let go with tears of joy in her
eyes and the most sincere smile and said, "On 9-11-2001, you carried
me out of the World Trade Center."
4. Today, after I watched my dog get run over by a car, I sat on the
side of the road holding him and crying. And just before he died, he
licked the tears off my face.
5. Today at AM, I woke up feeling ill, but decided I needed the money,
so I went into work. At 3 PM I got laid off. On my drive home I got
a flat tire. When I went into the trunk for the spare, it was flat
too. A man in a BMW pulled over, gave me a ride, we chatted, and
then he offered me a job. I start tomorrow.
6. Today, as my father, three brothers, and two sisters stood around
my mother's hospital bed, my mother uttered her last coherent words
before she died. She simply said, "I feel so loved right now. We
should have gotten together like this more often."
7. Today, I kissed my dad on the forehead as he passed away in a small
hospital bed. About 5 seconds after he passed, I realized it was the
first time I had given him a kiss since I was a little boy.
8. Today, in the cutest voice, my 8-year-old daughter asked me to
start recycling. I chuckled and asked, "Why?" She replied, "So you can
help me save the planet." I chuckled again and asked, "And why do you
want to save the planet?" Because that's where I keep all my stuff,"
9. Today, when I witnessed a 27-year-old breast cancer patient
laughing hysterically at her 2-year-old daughter's antics, I suddenly
realized that I need to stop complaining about my life and start
celebrating it again.
10. Today, a boy in a wheelchair saw me desperately struggling on
crutches with my broken leg and offered to carry my backpack and books
for me. He helped me all the way across campus to my class and as he
was leaving he said, "I hope you feel better soon."
11. Today, I was feeling down because the results of a biopsy came
back malignant. When I got home, I opened an e-mail that said,
"Thinking of you today. If you need me, I'm a phone call away." It
was from a high school friend I hadn't seen in 10 years.
12. Today, I was traveling in Kenya and I met a refugee from Zimbabwe.
He said he hadn't eaten anything in over 3 days and looked extremely
skinny and unhealthy. Then my friend offered him the rest of the
sandwich he was eating. The first thing the man said was, "We can
“The Best Sermons Are Lived, Not Preached!”
“Some Thoughts From Will”
Contributed by Bruce Ahlvin
[Pretty relevant, even in today’s world!]
of his thoughts:
1. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.
2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.
3. There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither
4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.
5. Always drink upstream from the herd.
6. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
7. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put
it back into your pocket.
8. There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by
reading; the few who learn by observation; the rest
have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
9. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that
comes from bad judgment.
10. If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every
now and then to make sure it's still there.
11. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin'
12. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he
started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came
and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth
ABOUT GROWING OLDER...
First » Eventually you will reach a point when you
stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.
Second » The older we get, the fewer things seem worth
waiting in line for.
Third » Some people try to turn back their
odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this
way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Fourth » When you are dissatisfied and would like
to go back to youth, think of Algebra.
Fifth » You know you are getting old when
everything either dries up or leaks.
Sixth » I don't know how I got over the hill without
getting to the top.
Seventh » One of the many things no one tells you about
aging is that it's such a nice change from being young.
Eighth » One must wait until evening to see how
splendid the day has been.
Ninth » Being young is beautiful, but being old is
comfortable and relaxed.
Tenth » Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground
with sticks, it was called witchcraft. Today it's
And, finally » If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you
won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
Age - Some Inspiration for us all!
Happy Birthday and Anniversary
Dates to Remember:
1 ̶ Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day - International Joke Day.
2 ̶ I Forgot Day - World UFO Day.
3 ̶ Compliment Your Mirror Day - Disobedience Day - Stay out of the
4 ̶ Independence Day
- National Country Music Day - Sidewalk Egg Frying Day.
5 ̶ Build A Scarecrow Day - Work-a-holics Day.
6 ̶ National Fried Chicken Day.
7 ̶ Chocolate Day - National Strawberry Sundae Day.
8 ̶ Video Games Day.
9 ̶ National Sugar Cookie Day.
10 ̶ Teddy Bear Picnic Day.
11 ̶ Cheer up the Lonely Day - World Population Day.
12 ̶ Different Colored Eyes Day - Pecan Pie Day.
13 ̶ Barbershop Music Appreciation Day - Embrace Your Geekness Day
- Fool's Paradise Day.
14 ̶ Bastille Day - Pandemonium Day - National Nude Day.
15 ̶ Cow Appreciation Day, Go out and give a cow a BIG HOOAH & a
HUG - Tapioca Pudding Day.
16 ̶ Fresh Spinach Day.
17 ̶ Peach Ice Cream Day - Yellow Pig Day.
18 ̶ National Caviar Day, something's fishy here.
19 ̶ National Ice Cream Day - National Raspberry Cake Day.
20 ̶ National Lollipop Day - Moon Day - Ugly Truck Day, it's a
21 ̶ National Junk Food Day.
22 ̶ Hammock Day - Rat Catcher's Day.
23 ̶ National Hot Dog Day - Vanilla Ice Cream Day.
24 ̶ Amelia Earhart Day - Cousins Day.
25 ̶ Culinarians Day - Threading the Needle Day.
26 ̶ Parent's Day - All or Nothing Day - Aunt and Uncle Day.
27 ̶ Take Your Pants for a Walk Day.
28 ̶ National Milk Chocolate Day.
29 ̶ National Lasagna Day.
30 ̶ National Cheesecake Day - Father-in-Law Day.
31 ̶ Mutt's Day.
Keep Your Fork...’64, Bob Graham
PS ̶ Thank you as always, for your contributions. I hope many of
you are getting out with Family and Friends this summer; or at least
connecting or reconnecting with many of them. Enjoy July, because
before you know it - we will be in August!
Oh, please don’t forget to share those Bucket List items... Thank